Xu Sun is Associate Professor in Department of Computer Science, Peking University, since 2012. He got Ph.D from The University of Tokyo (2010), M.S. from Peking University (2007), and B.E. from Huazhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech. (2004). From 2010 to 2012, he worked at The University of Tokyo, Cornell University, and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as Research Fellow/Associate. His research focuses on natural language processing and machine learning, especially on structured natural language processing and structured learning. He has been Area Chair/Co-Chair of EMNLP, YCCL; Program committee member of ACL, IJCAI, AAAI, COLING, EMNLP, NAACL, PAKDD, ACML; Journal reviewer of IEEE TPAMI, Comput. Linguist., and so on.
- Okawa Research Award/Grant, 2016
- Qiu Shi Outstanding Young Scholar Award, 2015
- Peking University Outstanding Faculty, 2015
- Recipient of National 1000 Young Talents Program, 2013
- Recipient of Peking University 100 Young Talents Program, 2012
- PhD in computer science,
The University of Tokyo, 2010. Advisor: Prof. Jun'ichi Tsujii
- M.S. in computer science, Peking University, 2007. Advisor: Prof. Houfeng Wang
- B.E. in computer science, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2004
- IJCNLP 2017, area chair
- EMNLP 2015, area chair
- CCL 2017, tutorial co-chair
- NLPCC 2017, student workshop co-chair
- YCCL 2012, area chair
- Tutorial, Keynote Speech
- EMNLP 2016 Tutorial: "Methods and theories for large-scale structured prediction" [download PPT] [download PDF] new!
- CCL 2016 “Frontier Report” Invited Talk: "The recent advance of machine learning for natural language processing"
- YCCL 2012 Keynote Speech: "Feature-frequency-adaptive online training for large-scale NLP"
- Committee Member, Technical Committee on Computational Linguistics, Chinese Information Processing Society of China
- Committee Member, Technical Committee on Chinese Information Technology, China Computer Federation
- Committee Member, Youth Working Committee, Chinese Information Processing Society of China
- Standing Committee Member, Youth Working Committee, Technical Committee on Chinese Information Technology, China Computer Federation
- Committee Member, Technical Committee on Artificial Intelligence and Unmanned Systems of Young scientist , Chinese Institute of Electronics
- Program committee member
- ACL (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), IJCAI (2016), AAAI (2016, 2017), EMNLP (2015), COLING (2016), NAACL (2016), ACML (2012), PAKDD (2012), ACL-SRW (2010, 2012), CCL (2015, 2016, 2017), NLPCC (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Journal reviewer
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (since 2015)
- Computational Linguistics (since 2012)
- Transactions of ACL (since 2016)
- IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (since 2016)
- Information Processing and Management (since 2011)
- ACM Transactions on Asian Language Information Processing (since 2009)
My current research focus is natural language processing and machine learning. In general, I am trying to develop novel structured learning theories and methods for solving large-scale natural language processing problems (i.e., how to make a machine to "understand" human language?). See my EMNLP 2016 tutorial about this topic.
(more complete list of papers are here)
Query Correction Probability based on Query Training Data. US2011/0295897. 2011